Monday, February 23, 2009

Lay Me Down In Peace

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
Psalm 3:8




A family is the formation center for human relationships. The family is the place where the deep understanding that people are significant, important, worthwhile, with a purpose in life, should be learned at any early age. Edith Schaeffer


There has been a bunch of activity here this week. After such a calm peaceful January,
I'm slowly starting to feel that nesting and getting ready for the arrival of our newest treasure. I'm so pleased to have a few things knit for this wee one.
Our days have been starting much earlier now with the sun peaking up just after six. When the older boys get home from delivering their papers they are staying up now. It's been wonderful to add in a couple more hours to our busy day. Starting with getting the laundry going right away. Oh what a difference it makes to get those 3 loads done. The children and I have been doing much more reading together. With not napping this gives me a good hour to rest on the sofa and all the children in one place together. I find by the later afternoon it takes much more effort to keep going as I get closer to the end of my pregnancy I'm getting more and more tired. I am just so thankful for Chris when he gets home from work and right away as soon as his work boots are off he's asking how he can help me out.
We have found with the children rising early bedtime is much earlier now too. Our youngest little man is hitting the hay right after dinner. I love seeing him all snuggled up in my big bed like a little prince.
This weekend Chris and I attended a wonderful seminar on peer influences on children. Nothing that this doctor spoke on was new information to us, but the Lord used him to remind us of just how important keeping attachments with our children is.
The Dr was explaining by peers being so important to our children we lose their attachment and they attach to their peers. Matthew 6:24 came to me right away and I whispered it into Chris's ear. "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will hold to one and despise the other..."
It was affirmed over and over how important it is to keep your children with you. The Lord is showing me is such a strong way that if I want to raise children to choose the Lord as their God, we MUST MUST MUST reject the world's very poor advice that our children "need" to socialize outside the home. We must believe the Lord with all our heart when He says, "Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate."
I must say it is a huge blessing to be on the same page with your spouse on parenting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful update. glad to hear of all the activity going on there. praying for you as you near the end of this pregnancy and your newest blessing enters your days. how exciting of a time!

Anonymous said...

Amen, my friend! What a beautiful post, thanks for sharing.

Bloggy Mama said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the talk by Mate. I was going to go, but ended up just not feeling up to it. Peace,

Unknown said...

I think it's wise you keep your kids close. I teach middle school, and one of the saddest things I see is good kids getting swayed by the other gang members/drug dealers/or even just rude and disrespectful kids. It's so sad when they pick friends over their parents and their parents' training.
My sister has some friends who call her too protective because she doesn't let the kids go to people's houses and things like that yet unless she's known them forever! Better safe than sorry.

Now, kids can't stay forever with their parents. Does your philosophy of raising kids have a plan for helping them merge into the real world for college, work, whatever? I would be interested in your thoughts.
(This is Laura from IHP by the way.) :)