Wednesday, December 2, 2015



Last April I went to an Above Rubies retreat with a friend. (a retreat for mothers) There was a woman there with her 10th baby, I strongly felt the Holy Spirit nudge me to ask about her baby's health. This was extremely awkward. Her baby was so tiny and over 6 months she insisted she was happy and eating great. I asked her to ask her peditrcian about getting her heart checked. I wrestled with feeling dumb or questioning if I'm just so overly cautious now. Last week I found out from the cordinator of the retreat that the baby was in Bc Children's hospital with heart problems and a tumour on her lung. The very next day I was on my way to BCCH with Henry and was able to reconnect with this mama.   I am so happy I listened to that quiet small voice of the Holy Spirit. This mama said after the retreat she hounded her doctor to do more testing. Later that week they found out the baby will have half her lung removed. 


We decorated for Christmas. The season to be jolly and making the most of it, baking cookies, wrapping presents etc.. This season has so many memories and traditions when you have a house full of little children you can't help but be excited. This year our extended family has decided to not exchange gifts but to spend three days together enjoying family. This has hugely cut down my time away from home and not spending so much time shopping.  For one month I love that adults and children spent extra time together, making special food and decorating the house. I believe its these family traditions that can unite a family and children when grown with have strong joyful memories to draw on.
 Our cosy living room is our family gathering place. Every morning this is where we meet to read our bible and pray.  We recently started in Genesis again and will work our way through.  I don't if there is any better way to start your day than hearing the prayers of your children. From Seamus and Henry's squeezed eyes shut and baby babble to two strong young men with bold powerful prayers.
 It's during this time I am reminded again how blessed I am.

  Last week school was a little bit of write off, we got in 2.5 good days but with me in Vancouver and dad home the kids got a little break.   Jude and Rachael have been enjoying a math game called Gone Fishing. I love when we can incorporate games into our learning and they don't feel it's school work.

We will be using the month of December to do all things Christmas when it comes to our book work.
Rachael is doing a little a few work sheets called "Hot Chocolate Math" and Jude and Rachael are writing with writing prompts "If I were an Elf".  We will slow down on our formal studies and bring in more seasonal and fun things.
As soon as our day wraps up everyone runs outside to sled until I am calling them as it gets dark. As much as I love summer and the long days there is something about the chilly nights and crackling fire that bring a family together.

No comments: