Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Winter's Day

I love cold wintery days. I love heavy snowfalls and freezing cold temperatures they bring a sense of closeness in the home. Everyone seems more calm and mellow. Children are pleased to snuggle up and listen to stories all day. Makes you feel like you can hold that baby a little longer. My oldest enjoys sitting a little longer with his hot apple cider chatting with his Mama. Ten year olds have some pretty great things to talk about. I'm thankful for these cold days they really make you slow down.

If we would have a true home, we must guard well our thoughts and actions. A single bitter word may disquiet the home for a whole day; but, like unexpected flowers which spring up along our path full of freshness, fragrance and beauty, so do kind words and gentle acts and sweet disposition make glad the home where peace and blessing dwell. No matter how humble the abode, if it be thus garnished with grace and sweetened by kindness and smiles, the heart will turn lovingly towards it from all the tumults of the world, and home, " be it ever so humble," will be the dearest spot under the sun.

Golden Gems of Life



This morning was slow it took us awhile to really get going the house was chilly. I put a big pot of oatmeal on the stove as that simmered away I was finishing up a phone call, I diligently reminded my tiny ones of proper behavior while Mama is on the telephone. Belly's were filled and all were happy we heading down to our school room. We had a really wonderful day together.
After lunch everyone picked a book and found a comfy spot to read for a little while. I snuck off to my bedroom with the baby to fill his little belly with mommy milk and soak in the Word. How refreshing it is to do that in the middle of my day. It's renews me and prepares me for Chris to return home.
With the weather so cold the children were bursting with energy that needed used up. We had a tidy up race that was done with the older boys wearing roller blades in the house. Hard floors are wonderful for that! I put a delicious pork roast in the oven and set the table for dinner.
What an immeasurable gift my life is! Oh how I thank the Lord for my children's sweet faces and intoxicating laughter, my husband, the yummy food and conversation every evening around my table.

Chili Biscuits
-1 1/2 cups of flour using whole wheat for half.
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1/2 tsp of chili powder (or to taste)
-3/4 cup of grated light Cheddar
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1/2 cup buttermilk
or plain milk with 1 tsp. vinegar
-1/3 cup of salsa
Gently mix all ingredients together in the order given.
Drop biscuits on to a lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake @ 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

I see it's past midnight, I'm going to go peek in at all my sleeping treasures and crawl under my fluffy duvet. ~good-night~



No comments: