Saturday, April 30, 2011

Teaching Tips For a Houseful

On Friday I left to go to a Homeschool Conference drove 2 hours to get there, 5 min out of the car I got really sick!! Like the sickest I have ever been as an adult. I sat on a handicap bathroom floor for 2 hours puking, the world was spinning I was weak and could hardly walk. I finally found the lady I came with and asked her to take me to my hotel I slept there with baby for a couple hours and tried to go back. And quickly learned I should have stayed at the hotel. I ended up with a fever and kept going from sweating to freezing cold. While at a booth paying for my stuff I fainted.Not only did this happen once but twice! I scared a poor women and had to reassure her a million times id be OK.
Anyhow when I got back to my hotel I went to bed. Today was much better and I got what I needed.

On Monday at the homeschool meeting I'm going to be sharing on teaching tips for a houseful so I thought I would blog a few of my points I'll be sharing.

Baby/toddler/pre K years and beyond
Mom should resit temptation to be busy- stay home and be home focused. These are not the years to start a home based business (pampered chef, Tupperware ect..)I made this mistake when I had 4 littles and while I thought it would be great to have a little spending money it pulled me from my children's needs. I was either busy delivering things and small ones missed naps or I was out in the evening not home to say goodnight to them.
We need to prune out those things that pull us away. John 15:2 says that we prune what is good in favor of what is best- most fruitful. So if that means gymnastics is at toddlers nap time and he is falling asleep on the way there and you need to wake them up to go in for the hour. Then they fall asleep on the way home again but wake up coming into the house. Then for the next 4 hours until bedtime the whole family suffers from the crying whining toddler. These are the years to not be busy!

K-3
Children in this age group need lots of mom time. While they may seem ready for some independence it isn't time don't rush it keep them close. Different children will develop in all areas at all different ages.

Grade 6 and up
So much is changing in these years emotionally and physically. Try and think back on those years on how you wanted to be treated. Show LOTS of mercy and understanding. This is when late nights in parenting start up again but now it's late nights of laying on the bed talking.
This is also a good age to start theological studies and roles start to change from dictator to mentor friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful points to ponder, Miranda. I wish I could show this to a friend without her getting angry at me. She runs a daycare with her 2 year old at home still, has a cake decorating business, makes fruit baskets, diaper cakes AND is now selling Visalus and promoting healthy eating and vegan meals. It breaks my heart to know she isn't paying attention to her youngest. He hardly talks. He just doesn't know how, and the older two are so disobedient. It breaks my heart. Anyway, thank you for sharing.