Thursday, August 30, 2012

Making Butter

 
 This week I made butter with the children, they were all fascinated by the process. I remember doing it with heavy cream from the store when my older ones were little but never have I done it from raw milk.
 
I used 3 cups of raw cream the cream will go through the following stages: Sloshy, frothy, soft whipped cream, firm whipped cream, coarse whipped cream. Then, suddenly, the cream will seize, its smooth shape will collapse, and the whirring will change to sloshing. The butter is now fine grained bits of butter in buttermilk, and a few seconds later, a glob of yellowish butter will separate from milky buttermilk. It took my kitchen aid about 5 mins.
 
 
Drain the buttermilk. Keep for other uses as it is perfectly good raw buttermilk but I did just learn it is called whey.
 
3. Add 1/2 cup of cold water, and blend further. Discard wash water and repeat until the wash water is clear (it took me 2 times).
4. Add 1/2 tsp of salt, to taste, if desired.



 

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sooo cool Miranda! Love your blog, very cool, now I want to be you when I grow up :)