Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Happy 14th Birthday Austin

Another year older.
Every year on Austin's birthday I replay his birth in my head, I think because the pain of never experiencing childbirth is burned into my soul.  Born on a cool March night after a really rough day, of induction and water being broke, 3 hours of pushing I pushed into motherhood.
He was such an easy baby that still managed to squash every ounce of my selfishness out. I was determined to do this job well. I had a vision to raise up a Godly young man and I am sure I was too hard on him in those little years.  I look back with what I know now and wish I could re-do a few things.
 
He welcomed every sibling that came after him with open arms and acceptance, as he was thrilled for one more to play with. And still at 14 is excited for when there will be more.
Austin is an amazing person. I am often humbled by his maturity, when he puts his mind to things he has an amazing work ethic, his love for others, heart for the needy or hurting leaves me and his dad in awe.. I am often getting comments about him, which just humble me more. Even though parenting is a huge sacrifice and a lot of work as the kids get older I see that it is all God and I really can't take any credit.
Daily I see him lay down his desires, his time, his sleep, his comfort, and his way for his brothers and sisters. If Jude wakes up from a bad dream Austin will crawl in his bed and snuggle him until he falls back asleep.
 
I marvel at his hunger for God and devotion to prayer. I am challenged by his humility to be honest with himself and to us.  He is not afraid to be wrong, face his weaknesses, ask forgiveness, or let us know he just doesn't know what to do. He seeks out the wisdom of his Dad or his Grandpa when hard things come up.
Since he was little he was always so serious, now as he gets older he is such a great mix of taking life serious and having a crazy amount of fun.
   To celebrate his day both sides of our families met up at a local Japanese restaurant for dinner. It was a lot of fun. His Grandma made him his favorite cherry cheese cake and everyone went in on one present and got him a tablet.

  I keep thinking about how the years of raising him are changing and how I need more wisdom and guidance just like when I gave birth to him and had no clue how to do things, it's how I feel now. I had a vision back then and I still hold that vision and trust that God will get us there. There is no black or white recipe. He needs a mom and dad that believe in him and respect him. He needs to know we trust him to make the right choices. He needs a mom and dad that are looking to Jesus to help us guide him all the way into his adult years.  I'm really excited for what the next years will bring.

No comments: