Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ramblings on Entitlement


 I'm sitting outside watching the children swim, Chris and my oldest are painting the lower deck it's a beautiful summer evening.  I have myself all worked up over an article I read today about spoilt children and first world problems. I found myself nodding saying "yes yes" through out the article.   Sadly it's not just the children that are spoilt but the parents that believe they are above anything less.

     I'll never forget the first time a mom shot me a look of disapproval because of my "no name" ketchup. I remember being confused on how I should feel, on one end I was embarrassed I bought "no name" ketchup on the other hand I was rolling my eyes at the judgment.  Recently someone asked how we were going to afford to buy all our children their first car. Huh? Since when is it expected a  parent should buy there child a car. Even if I had all the money in world I would not buy my children their first vehicle. 

   It really scares me to see entitled children walking around unhappy, unsatisfied with what they have. They would rather lay on the couch watching TV or playing video games.  The entitlement blows my mind.  I spent the morning today cleaning out my 5 and 2 year olds bedroom everything was pulled out and sorted the more I cleaned the more discouraged I became. They have been alive for such a short time and have accumulated so much. Just in the amount of clothing I bagged up for the thrift store was ridiculous.  Some may wonder why such a large family would not save for the next child down but to be honest we are so blessed it just isn't needed.   I know other people can benefit from the things that just sit in bins in my garage. So often we are oblivious to the needs of others, or  we think that others needs are just not as important as our own.

      This post isn't a rant it's about what we believe we deserve. It's about "no name" not being good enough for our privileged little selves. It's about raising kids that despite being given everything have sour looks on their precious entitled faces. I know I can't change a generation but I will guard my children from this demon and this demon first has to be stopped from coming through me.

No comments: