Monday, September 30, 2013

Night Time Parenting?

 
We have always been strong believers in co-sleeping and for us that means night time reassurance, comfort and cuddles.  Around age two all of our children have been interested in having their own beds and generally will start the night out there. Our little Hannah now 2.5 goes to bed at 7pm in her own bed and joins me in my bed around 1:30-2:00am, it's like clock work. It's always been important to us that our children know we are there for them 100% anytime of the day. I have never been one to let a baby/child cry in the night because crying tells me there is a need and that need should try to be met. For our bigger children it means one of us moving into their bed until they are comfortable and sleeping soundly. Sometimes we wake up there in the morning sometimes we make it back to our own bed. I personally think one should keep a bed open to children as long as possible.  If they want to be close to you, why deny the opportunity for connecting with them?  Growing up can be scary and wonderful and challenging. 
Childhood is such a short time and being open to just being there and being available gives children such a comfort.  
 
  This is one of those topic's that get mothers all wound up and that isn't my intention but more to share on what works for us.

  • For most of human history a baby has slept with his or her mother, or perhaps both parents. 
  • It was not even until 200 years ago cultures began to construct dwellings with more than one room. The majority of people around the world still live in one -room shelters where all activities take place.
  • 50 out of 136 cultures evaluated by anthropologist John Whiting found mother slept with child and father slept in another place.

  • 2 comments:

    Goat Gal said...

    I adore this post... I often think about when "special night" at our house will have run it's course... And it makes me terribly sad...

    It's posts like this that make me realize that I am not babying my children by letting them sleep with us... Thanks for the encouragement.

    Sara said...

    LOVE! Especially if daddy is in another room LOL, cause that makes it easier... ;)