Monday, April 19, 2010

The Fruit Inspector


I woke up this morning with a clean slate, I love the morning. I love having the whole day fresh, yesterday is put behind you and new memories to be made. Once the children were all awake and dressed we all made breakfast together and we did our morning devotions we are reading through 1 John together. It's such a sweet time to read aloud to them. We stop every few verses and talk about what it is saying and how we can apply it to our own life.

We read the verse in 1st John that says "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives."

So we took a few minutes together and went around confessing sin to each other. It was really neat to see the vast difference in my children.


“True repentance must include awareness of the magnitude of our spiritual destitution; therefore real repentance must begin with recognition of God’s incomparable and unachievable holiness.
When we do not apprehend the true nature of our wrongdoing, we do not hate it sufficiently to seek its expulsion. True repentance requires grief and remorse that cries out, ‘How could I have done such a thing? Please, God, take the guilt and presence of this evil from my life!’
Without such a loathing of the sin that has been magnified by God’s holiness, not only will we fail to repent, we will not even see our wrong.”
Bryan Chapell
Holiness By Grace, p. 74
~~~

O Father, I have sinned! I have done
The thing I thought I never more should do!
My days were set before me, light all through;
But I have made dark—alas, too true!
And drawn dense clouds between me and my Sun.
Septimus Sutton
~~~

For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret.
2 Corinthians 7:10 (ESV)

No comments: